Monday, June 15, 2009

Some Questions to Reignite Your Writing Flame

Do you ever feel so paralyzed by writer's block or procrastination that the very thought of sitting down to write seems downright repulsive? When cleaning out a closet or organizing your DVDs alphabetically sounds more attractive than setting aside time to write?

I'll admit that I have felt that way. Generally speaking, I love to write--I enjoy the entire process, from sitting at my laptop or PC and clicking away on the keys to stringing words together that best capture my message or mood. I relish the editing process as well, changing or restringing those words until I am satisfied with the result. And I definitely love the feeling of fulfillment that comes from completing an article, chapter, blog post, essay or issue of WriteSuccess.

But sometimes...I lose sight of what I love about being a writer. And if you're struggling to complete something you're working on--or to even begin developing in writing an idea that's been floating in your brain--chances are you've lost sight of why you've wanted to write as well. When this happens, perhaps taking some time to ask the following questions, and even writing the answers in a journal, can help replenish our writing energy and restore our writing resolve. Here are a few of the questions we can ask to stoke our writing fires once more:

*How old were you when you first realized you wanted to be a writer?
*What was the first thing you remember writing that you were proud of, and why?
*What is the most recent thing that you've written that you're proud of, and why?
*What do you want your writing to accomplish?
*What is it about the writing life that most appeals to you?
*How would you like your writing to be remembered, known or recognized? Why?

Answering questions like these can help us rediscover the joy, fun and/or fulfillment that we sometimes lose along the way during the course of building our writing careers. They can bring us back to our writing roots and provide us with a fresh sense of purpose. In other words, they can help us remember why we chose to become writers in the first place, or why we keep coming back to writing again and again.

Here's to your writing success.

Mary Anne

http://writesuccess.com/

P.S. Come join me on Twitter! I send out links to writing jobs, writing contests and writing articles nearly every day. http://twitter.com/writesuccess , or search WriteSuccess on http://search.twitter.com/ .

No comments:

Post a Comment